Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Honoring People - The Unknown Man

I had an brief encounter with this man years ago while I was still in my Secondary School or probably Pre-U 1.

I do not know his name and definitely cannot remember how he looked like. My encounter with him was probably only 5 minutes or so. But God used him to protect me from walking down the wrong lane.

As mentioned, we were in serious financial problem when I was in my Upper Secondary School years and all through my Pre-Uni years. Every school holiday, I will look for temporary jobs so that i can earn pocket money for the holidays and also to buy some school essentials. So, I had worked in paper-box factory, factory that assemble comms set for cabs, bell-hop in hotel, waiter, sale promotor etc.

During one of the school breaks, I was very desperate to get a temp job but do not seems to be able to find one. After looking through the chinese paper, I found a job opening in a local bar at Bras Besah Road. It is a opening for part-tme dishwasher in that bar. Yes, I was desperate enough to even consider working in the bar and I reasoned that there is really no harm because it is just a part-time job.

I remembered walking down that lane beside Bras Besah Road until I found the bar. It was day time when the bar was still not open for business yet and so, only the back door was opened. I entered into the bar, which was almost in total darkness (first and the last time) and found a small room where this man was sitting inside. He might be the owner or the manager, I don't know, but definitely not someone to mess with.

He asked me what I wanted and I pointed at the job vacancy that the bar advertised on the chinese papers while my heart was racing away. He looked at the advertisement and look at me. He just replied that I was not suitable for the job and ignored me completely. I walked out of that bar thinking how can I not be suitable for being a dishwasher? Am I not tall enough? Or look too skinny? Or look too young? How can I be disqualified from being a part-time dishwasher?

Yet as I look back at my brief encounter with this man in the local bar, I am so glad that he did not give me the job. If he has given me that part-time dishwasher job, I might live a very different life now and might have even walk away from God.

I am glad that God even used this non-believer to protect me from falling away.

No comments: